Welcome new reader!

Financial news I consider important, with my opinion, which is worth as much as you paid for it.

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Choose your expected 2020 return

The market is up 3% in the first two weeks of 2020!
The average return in the market since 2001 is 6%, we have achieved 50% of the annual return in 2 weeks, quite impressive!  This is on track for up 50% in 2020 at this pace.

Please read my thoughts on 2020 in post  "The Year of an Explosive Market" from January 1st.

With 3% up in first two weeks, 50% of total gains on average over the last 19 years in the market, I urge considering taking some risk off the table if you are over 50 years old.

At a minimum take a look at the chart below and you evaluate what you think is a "good return" in 2020 with your expectations.

I compiled quite a bit of data to give you information 'at a glance' to decide if the risk vs rewards is worth it.  For 2020, I assumed all percentages from close of Friday 1/17, and not from 1/1/2020.  We are already up 3%, so if the targets I call out are hit, we will in fact have even greater returns.


No comments:

Post a Comment