Welcome new reader!

Financial news I consider important, with my opinion, which is worth as much as you paid for it.

Friday, June 2, 2023

3d printing - Getting started

I typically use this blog about global economics and US stock market, today going in a different direction, 3d printing! My son was given a 3d printer from his maternal grandmother, and I have gotten hooked!

 What is a 3d printer? It is a device you can use to 'melt' materials to create an object, typically types of plastic. Click here to see a time lapse of it at work! 

There are metal 3d printers, but the price point is beyond anything I can afford right now! There is also laser cutters, CNC machines (video of wood. video of metal), and resin printers. 

Resin printers offer greater detail to create small objects but the cost of the printer and the material is at a premium. It also needs a little more post-processing steps.  To see how a resin printer works click here:
 

What printer to buy?

There is always new versions being released, with different optimized features. Some features include speed, printing detail, different materials you can print with, dual-use printers (like laser cutting), cost, and ease of use. My priority currently is different materials, ease of use, and dual use. As of Dec 2022, this is a good printer and adapter to consider.
Features I liked was automatic bed leveling (ease of use), max temp of the print head of 300c (different materials) and allows allows for wood etching (dual use).

No comments:

Post a Comment