What can you do? This is MAD-MAX territory. Before you start spreading rumors I lost it and have gone "off the reservation", I am NOT prepared for MadMax scenario. So I haven't transitioned to this as my reality, but I have thought about it.
- First off, if your considering Anarchy to be possible, you should NOT be invested in any stock, money markets, corporate bonds, etc. Money should be in federal treasuries or resources. Also have primary savings in two radically different companies. Like a local bank AND an international stock trading account, etc.
- Have significant physical cash on hand. Either is a security deposit box or "buried" someplace. If things spiral, banks are now allowed to run out of physical cash BUT remain solvent/open. This was changed with the bailout law in 08.
- Sell your home, rent. Be nimble for change.
- Stock up on food. Having 4-6 week food supply that you rotate not only gives some cushion, but actually saves you money by having bulk-buying of food. Alternately, you can buy big-quantity long term storage food by clicking here.
- Apply for a gun permit ASAP and buy a gun...or two. If it comes to the point where you "need" a gun, laws will be changed that you cannot have a gun.
- Consider buying commodities to store wealth for an economic reset or dollar crash. Short-term crash buying commodity stocks/etf's helps. Complete disaster collapse you need physical ownership of resources. Ideally you want valuables to barter with. There are places like goldmoney.com to own gold and have them store it in or out of the USA. Also can buy physical commodities gold coins, such as land, etc. Remember, in the last Great Depression, the US Government rummaged the safety deposit boxes and confiscated everyone's gold. So consider where is "safe" to hold resources.
- Consider having a secondary place to live, whether its a relative in a rural area, or moving out of the country. Unfortunately, who knows what country if any will fair better. But the USA is itching to re-invent itself, and probably for the worse. Alternately make sure passports are valid, but don't count on being able to leave.
- Consider putting your trading account in a place like Interactive Brokers. This will allow you to transfer wealth "on a dime" to any other investment, such as currency trading, futures, foreign stocks, foreign bonds, etc. If mad-max happens, it may be mute, the exchanges degrade, and/or the clearing houses or other institutions have issues
GREAT Video below, thanks Happy John!