Welcome new reader!

Financial news I consider important, with my opinion, which is worth as much as you paid for it.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Proof of Economic Recovery

I have worked in IT for over 20 years, and I have seen my fair share of economic downturns. Technology tends to be hot during economic upswings, and a wasteland during an economic downturn. Most companies can "get by" without significant upgrades to technology.

Recently, I have noticed in my travels a few things. First, my own work is at it's busiest since 2006. There are some factors that include my specific specialization and lack of cross training. But in general, I do view it as a sign that maybe the economy is getting better.

In the last few weeks I have been traveling for work, to Washington DC and Minneapolis. Last week in DC hotels where completely booked. This week Minneapolis hotels where close to fully booked.

So it will be interesting to me how the markets and the economic indicators play out over the next few months. From my "on the ground" observations, business is doing OK. Booked hotels for entire areas and technology consulting work picking up.

Granted, I am discounting the close to 17% unemployed directly or by becoming a discouraged worker.

Just wanted to share a bit of observation, markets should keep bopping around through August.
good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment