Welcome new reader!

Financial news I consider important, with my opinion, which is worth as much as you paid for it.

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Heart of finance just had its first scare in 30 years

I wrote a few times back in January 2009 that the REAL crisis is not the stock market, but risk to Bond interest rates.  Then I wrote post in 2010 "Bonds, Cost of borrowing the heart of all finance" calling out when US 30 year bonds interest rates go above 30 year downtrend, we will enter a new world not since the 1970's, a rising cost to borrow.

Well, we finally broke this recently, as graph below shows:


Our economic model is based on debt, and for 30 years businesses and people could borrow and expect LOWER payments 2, 10, 20 years later.  In 2018, this expectation has shifted to higher rates for decades ahead.

I expect in the year ahead a new world financial crisis to start to emerge, as the debt based society can no longer 'roll debt forward' with lower costs.   I also expect FINALLY the Precious metal sector to get a boost, now that bitcoin has taken it on the chin.   I do expect however when precious metals soar, when they break, the action for rest of my life will be in the cryptocurrencies.   I do think precious metals have one more act in them before being retired from the global economy as nothing more than expensive rocks.

I expect USD valuation is where it will get strange, as our global economy has always judged health of fiat currency against other fiat currencies.    If I am right about interest rates, and fiat currencies are the main value store for next 30 years, then I would expect USD to keep rising and rates must rise to 'break the fever" of USD trading higher, like Volcker DOUBLED US interest rates overnight in March 1980 from 10% to 20%, producing the extreme graphs above and below.

Imagine today, with so many Americans citizens and companies rolling forward debt dependant on the kindness of 30 years of lower rates experiencing such a spike in rates!
.



I am making NO predictions except one, what the world knows as the 'right and wrong' things to do in the financial markets since 1982 is out the window.   Companies that have been stable for decades may wake up in deep trouble in the year or two ahead.   While we can have issues sooner, I expect this party to get start really cooking in the year 2020, USA next presidential election.

In the near term, I am watching a 2 year and a long term indicator for the world markets to enter a bear market.   Things look like a double top and we are about to hear the Bear roar.  But until the charting has confirmation, act with caution for a Bull or a Bear.  The 2 year indicator will mature October 31st, so clarity should come in late 2018.

See NEW related post on inflation.

Good luck!
Keep eye on GDX, GDXJ, and new markets such as 'Alternative Crop' stocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment